IMO News Service
New Delhi: Prominent Delhi-based social and civil rights activists – Shabnam Hashmi, Abha Bhaiya, Leena Dabniru and Ovais Sultan Khan – have recently launched a campaign “Visit My Home, Be My Guest” aimed at dispelling the existing prejudices in the society and strengthening human bonds.
Shabnam Hashmi in a statement said: “Visit My Home, Be My Guest is a simple campaign directed to change the preconceived notions and opinions that we hold about people of other community, class, caste, religion, sexual orientation, language, region etc. It is easy to spread hatred in the absence of direct contact with each other. The objective is simple and direct, people must go to each other’s house eat and drink tea, just even water and break the socially constructed barriers.”
She further stated: “We are well aware that this campaign cannot transform the society into a just and equal society. This is only an experiment, a small beginning and a hope that especially the new generation will rise above the hatred and join hands for peace and love.”
The common people are welcome to join this campaign aptly named “Visit My Home, Be My Guest – Weaving Lives Together”. The campaign will be conducted from July 20 to 22, 2017. The main objectives of the campaign include:
• Meet at least one family who is not from your religion/ class/ caste/ economic background/ sexual orientation/ region/ linguistic background. Go to their home and invite them to your house.
• Try to understand their life and culture.
• Take a selfie together and tweet using hashtag #SelfieWithGuest (Not to be done before 9am July 20th)
• Upload on the following facebook page
• If a Facebook page has been created in your city/ town/ locality upload on that facebook page. facebook page’s name should be MereGharAaKeToDekho after that you can add your city/ town/ community etc.
• Please send photographs and videos of your interaction to any one of the following whatsapp numbers: 9911016957 / 9811137421 / 8373940162 / 9979704474 / 9555999150 / 7503227553 / 8826768793 / 9818809018
• Kindly start uploading on 20th July from 9am onwards. First 50 videos will be released to the media
• Special request to people’s organisations, groups, activists, schools, colleges, institutions facilitate visits, encourage young people, coordinate and make a facebook page for your city/ town, community etc.
For more information contact Coordinators: Shabnam Hashmi – 9811807558, Abha Bhaiya – 8629863963, Leena – 9811137421, Ovais: 9911016957/ 011 41670722